Friday, May 1, 2015

Feature Friday: Picture Perfect Birth Photography & Doula

I am so grateful to be on this doula journey of mine with some talented and wonderful partners. Today's Feature Friday post is spotlighting one of those lovely partners: Emily Brooksby with Picture Perfect Birth Photography & Doula. I love that smiling face and the sass that makes me laugh! She's based out of West Jordan, Utah, but travels all over the place. Before I really get going, I think it's best to have her tell you about herself in her own words. World, meet Emily!





Q: How did you first get into photography?

A: Photography has been such a staple in my life for many years and I love what I do. But as far as birth photography, I started a few years ago just doing stills and then have recently gone to video. Birth is the single most amazing thing any woman and her partner can do in life. I LOVE birth and I figured, why not bring my two loves together! I couldn't be any happier!

Q:What goes into getting that perfect shot?

A: The perfect shot--I don't think there is "the one perfect shot" you can get at a birth, but what goes into the perfect story is capturing the little moments. Mom holding her babe before giving birth, dad holding mom's hand as he kisses her forehead, first time dad seeing his baby, the tears that come with birth, etc....  Being behind the scenes of a birth love story is one of the most blessed events I've ever gotten to be a part of.

Q: What drew you to being a doula?

A:  As I've stated before, I love birth. And I've wanted to do something with birth and becoming a doula is exactly what I want! I am a very compassionate person and have loved helping people my whole life. I have a very strong medical background and I love being in a job where I can help. But helping at a birth, well that's just the icing on the cake for me! Becoming a doula and learning all the different techniques and ways to help, I just fell more in love with the job(if we can even call it that, right?!).

Q: What do you think your best trait is in the delivery room?

A:  I think my best trait in the delivery room would be the passion I have for what I do. I love what I do and know that THIS is what I was born to do!

Q: What has been your most memorable moment?

A: My favorite doula and photographer moment is my very first birth as a doula. It was a first-time-mom who was planning on an unmedicated birth. As she had to be induced, the thought of medication was introduced by her provider due to the pitocin making labor intense faster. All options for easier labor were presented and she did amazing! After 12 hours on pitocin and making ZERO change, she opted for an epidural for management and rest. We almost lost the baby a few times and we ended up being there for 36 hours in labor. It was the most tired I have ever been, but as the time came for baby to be here, It's amazing what the body does! I had energy and excitement and watching that baby come earthside via vaginal forceps birth, was the most amazing feeling! Mom and baby were separated for only a few moments (which was lucky due to all the complications and being a meconium baby) and after they were reunited and surrounded with love and peace. Everyone in the room was silent and a lot of tears of joy were shed as that pair were reunited alive and well. I will always remember that birth and refer to it often.

Q: What is something you wish every mom knew?

A: I wish every mom knew that no matter how you give birth, you can rock it! I've seen every type of birth, medicated, unmedicated, c-section, and in every one I've been in, each one was so amazing. Seeing a baby be born is such a blessing!

Q: What's your favorite song to dance to? 

A: My favorite song to dance to is "Geronimo" by Sheppard. If you have not heard it, you have not lived! It's amazing!


What I want to do with my work as a doula is to make known that even if you are planning to have a medicated birth, you deserve a doula! I wish so bad that I had one when I gave birth and I have met many women who have said, "well, I'm getting an epidural, so I won't need one" and that mindset breaks my heart. In every medicated birth I have been to, I have stepped in as a doula in one way or another because they needed the support. Every woman deserves to have a support behind them! :)


See? I told you she was awesome. What Emily didn't tell you, is that she has been an EMT for years. She just can't shake that need to help people. ;) There have been so many people that have benefitted from her gentle hands and shining heart. Thank you for taking the time to chat with us, Emily!

Pop on over to her Facebook page for the video of the birth she described as her "most memorable". I know that's where I'm heading!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thank you for sharing! I love the song "Geronimo" as well!

    ReplyDelete